- Wash your hands prior to using your eye drops.
- Remove contact lenses.
- Either sit comfortably in a chair with your head tilted back slightly or lay down flat on your back.
- Pull your lower lid away from the eye with your index finger to form a “pocket.”
- Hold the dropper tip directly over the eyelid pocket. Brace your hand against your face or forehead to keep it steady. Look up and let the drop fall into the pocket (or anywhere on the eyeball) without touching the bottle to your eye or eyelid.
- Repeat for the second eye as directed.
- Close your eyes for 3 minutes.
- During the 3 minutes, use a tissue to wipe any excessive drops that run down your face but avoid wiping the eyelids until after 3 minutes.
- Before opening your eyes, wipe unabsorbed drops and tears from the closed lids with a tissue. Then open your eyes.
- If you need to take more than one kind of eye medication at the same time, wait a full 5 to 10 minutes before applying the next eye drop.
- If applying a steroid eye drop, remember to shake it at least 30 times every time you use it.
- If applying artificial tears, it is not necessary to close eyes for 3 minutes.
Click for diagrams: How to Apply Eyedrops